What is Section 504?
504 is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against
individuals with disabilities. Section 504 ensures that a child with a
disability has equal access to an education. A child may receive
accommodations and modifications.
How does Section 504 define "Disability?"
A person is disabled within the definition of Section 504 if the following conditions are met:
- The child must have a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits one or more of a person's major life activities.
"Major life activities" include functions such as caring for one's
self, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking,
breathing, learning, and working. When a condition does not
substantially limit a major life activity, the individual does not
qualify under Section 504.
- The child's disability must impact their education in order to qualify for educational accommodations.
This determination is made by a school team of individuals who are familiar with the child and the child's parent.
the school has reason to believe that, because of a disability as
defined under Section 504, a student needs accommodations or services in
order to participate in the school program, the school must evaluate
the student. If it is determined that a student is disabled under
Section 504, the school must develop and implement the delivery of all
needed services and/or accommodations.
What Does Making Accommodations Mean?
are adjustments made by the classroom teacher(s) and other school staff
to help students benefit from their educational program. In some cases a
plan should be developed outlining services and accommodations.
Examples of Common Accommodations:
- Modify assignments and tests.
- Provide an extra set of textbooks for home.
- Adjust student seating.
- Use study guides/organizing tools.
- Provide a peer tutor/helper.
- Provide school counseling.
- Have the student use an organizer – train in organizational skills.
- Provide preferential seating.
- Modify recess/PE/transportation.
- Use necessary health care procedures.